Hiring a qualified disability lawyer can make the difference between being approved for benefits or being turned down.
Social security disability law is voluminous and constantly changing. You need an attorney who is well-versed in the thousands of pages of the law. Beyond that, you need an attorney who is familiar with the entire application process and able to maneuver through the legal maze.
An experienced lawyer will:
- Develop the necessary evidence to win your case. Don’t count on over-worked Social Security staffers to make sure all the facts of your situation are properly presented.
- Prepare you to be a credible and effective witness for your hearing.
- Obtain additional evidence from your doctors to explain why your condition prevents you from working.
- Gather and organize all necessary documents in the most efficient manner to win your argument for benefits.
Beyond possessing the skills of a good lawyer, your disability attorney should also have a compatible personality. It is important for you to feel comfortable with your attorney and her staff. You should always feel free to call your lawyer or her staff to ask questions or get an update on the status of your case. Remember, this is a long term relationship because the disability process generally takes 2 years or more.
Here are some things to consider as you choose an attorney:
- Does the attorney take the time to hear your story?
- Does the attorney explain the disability process to you?
- Does the attorney ask questions about your medical history?
- Does the attorney answer your questions satisfactorily?
- Will the attorney or her staff return phone calls in a reasonable period of time?
- Will your attorney spend time preparing you to testify at your hearing BEFORE the day of the hearing?
For more information about Social Security disability claims, please visit the rest of this website and, while you’re here, order a FREE copy of my book, Unofficial Guide to Social Security Disability Claims.
If you need help with your disability claim, contact my office today at 800-218-7062.